Re: Re:Bumping vs. Ability Increase

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:26:26 +0200

Ian Cooper:
> They seem to be becoming more useful now to bump a roll so as to make sure
> you get a level of victory. This can be useful with simple contests to force
> a complete or major victory. Otherwise you tend to get a minor victory with a
> simple contest. The other option to bumping is to call for an extended
> contest. So the hero point gives the player the option of saying 'I want to
> finish this now' without going to the extended contest. It is really a kind
> of 'I'm bored with this plot line' veto from the player.

What I got sometimes was "I want this to be a extended contest, for it's far easier that way to end with a complete or major victory".

And indeed, it's very hard to reach this level with a simple contest. We did some contest using both methods and is was not very satisfying. The choice is "spend one HP to get the victory you want from an SC" or "go into EC mode, and end with a satisfactory end, without burning any HP". :(

I had to veto an EC once or twice because of this, because one player wanted to do only EC.

Maybe we did something wrong? Taking the same TNs and such, the result was very often a better victory in EC than in SC.

  Philippe