Re:Bumping vs. Ability Increase

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:14:11 -0000

I guess what my point is that most character skills are 17, and,that given you roll a simple contest against a resistance of 14 and rising (mostly) you will mostly score marginal results. And I would suggest that for most occasions you don't haveto narrate that 'you only just manage' what you were trying to do, but rather that you can embelish all you like as it doesn't really matter most of the time. Sure if its a big deal what the level of success is, but I think that most of the time it isn't.

Case in point: Last night players in my game rolleda simple contest to decide whether or no they knew of a Lunar who might help their situation. They got a marginal and I simply narrated that they did and gave them full details on where this person was, who they were etc.

Later in the game they tried to convince their clan not to hand over a clan mate to the lunars. They had a marginal defeat. On that occassion the narration depicted a skin of the teeth defeat.

Maybe I run it that way because I am always working to make the characters look good and the players feel good about their characters. I have had the GM who declares that when you miss a roll, even if your character has a high skill, your character has become some sort of inept fool - if only for a second.

Regards
Rob