Re: powerful augments

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 15:28:07 -0000

Hi

There are solutions here.

Option 1. Only allow relevant augments. If you have a difficult player then follow something along these lines,

GM: Ok, he goes to strike you with his mace because you told him he smells of elderberries!!

Dude: Cool, that Sword and shield 10W, my armour and sword gives me a two +3's, and another +1 for shield. Um, oh and he's a troll right?? So cookery 1W,that gives me a +2, and...

GM: Hang on,cookery?

Dude: Yeah!

GM: How so?

Dude: Well...I know, I hate the way they cook, and I am deadpassionate aboutmy cooking and I find their cooking methods really offensive. +2!

GM: Yep,no problem, thats really interesting. However I have to rule that its not that relevant to this contest so that I am going to hit you with an improv penalty on cookery.

Dude: Hey I can use cookery this is Heroquest.

GM: I haven't said you can't, but your going to take an improv penalty, asper the rules on such things.

Dude: how much?

GM: I think about -20 or -30. I'm feeling generous tonight, just take off -20 and then divide by 10 and round down.

Dude: Well that works out as zero! :^(

GM: I suggest you spend some points in cookery then!!

Option 2. Only allow five augments.

Option 3. Re-introduce the Hero Wars rule that for each augment you need to take an unrelated action, whatever the augment.

> We have said to him "so why do it?" and he says "because I need to
> win".

The thing is, you are the GM and can refuse any augment you like if you just want to be abitrary. And the thing is your not, because as long as everyone gets treated the samethen no harm no foul in my book.

> OK, he is a Magic te Gathering player whose enjoyment comes from
min maxing,
> finding game mechanics thatw ork to his advantage and inventing
silly
> abilituies like "Spurious Augment" he wants to apply to everything:

Why would you even allow such an ability? I would allow it and then rule every time that it was inapplicable because it was spurious. The are rules against those you know!

> meta-gaming is his thing. Games like Ars MAgica give him
something hard to
> kick against, but he calls HQ "Blagfest", and claims it is a bad
game, yet
> it is his behaviour alone whioch leads to this problem.

I think he is setting out to prove it is a bad game, hence his behaviour. Maybe he is ticked off because you aint playing what he wants to play? Frankly that guy wouldn't get a seat at my table. I have had them and they are just a waste of everybodies time. Go to the movies with him, go for a beer, play cards, but just bar him from your roleplaying games.

> Problem is he is a regular part of out gaming group, and a nice
guy, who
> plays interesting characters, he just seems intent on breaking the
game
> which annoys everyone else and has led to us playing RQ for a
while instead.

Which he likes?

> :( He just can't seem to get that his own behaviour is what
causes the
> issue...
>
> Still, once again: augments are great online, or with players
happy to break
> the modo to work out math. They are not so hot face to face in my
opinion,
> though I do like them
> cj x

If I am honest the only person that I have ever had a problem with and that was me. I have the heart of a powergamer! Maybe that why I GM!

Regards
Rob