Re: Preparing a campaign for hardened gamers with a minimax mentality

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:39:06 -0700

Nam

Welcome!

>I'm wondering what minimax practices to watch out for in character
>creation

It's almost impossible to abuse, because everything has a rating. You should probably disallow something that's nearly universal ("extremely talented") because it can augment everything, but otherwise it's not a big problem ("talented athlete" is handy, but doesn't help in social situations). The only thing that I have second thoughts about allowing is iron equipment, because of its special rules.

>If I'm sat looking where to spend my Hero Points as a player, I
>wouldn't want to spend on things that are 'augment only', because
>you appear to get more bang for your buck going for direct-impact
>skills (e.g. sword and shield fighting) or skills that have both a
>direct and indirect use (e.g. strong as an ox) rather than 'augment
>only' abilities.

Most abilities can in fact be used directly, though possibly only in a few circumstances.

If you as Narrator want control over where players spend their HP, spend them for them! On our games, we hand out directed improvements -- at the end of a session, you receive 2 HP and +1 to Reputation as Bloodthirsty Killer (or to Irritated by Noblemen, or...). My criteria are to something that stood out, or something that doesn't usually get raised. My goal is to help broaden the characters.

--

David Dunham