Re: Re: powerful augments

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 17:11:54 +0100 (BST)

> Hi Jane. Good point. I rather like it - I do it in
> Blue Dog, an excellent
> online game where we can spend a while thinking, and
> make sure that we are
> being sensible about what is appropriate.

Yes, we enjoy it for on-line games, too.

> However it does not work as well in the heat of the
> moment in a story told
> round the table: most of our players enjoy this, but
> one, Luke, spends up to
> twenty minutes arguing with the rest of the group

As I'm sure you don't need telling, this isn't a rules problem, it's a social problem. And while there are solutions for it, this probably isn't the right forum to discuss them. Anyone who is willing to spend 20 min arguing with the rest is a problem, no matter what their excuse for doing so may be.

> We have said to him "so why do it?" and he says
> "because I need to win".

HeroQuest is not about "winning" - roleplaying isn't about "winning"!

> but he calls HQ "Blagfest", and claims
> it is a bad game, yet
> it is his behaviour alone whioch leads to this
> problem.

This is akin to claiming that an Aga is a better cooker than a microwave, because the microwave breaks if you hit it with a sledgehammer and the cast-iron Aga doesn't. The answer is not to get rid of the microwave, but to stop using the sledgehammer on a cooking appliance.