RE: Re: My AP problems

From: Michael W. Ryan <mryan_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:39:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Richard Develyn wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what you're saying isn't.
>
> >You are not required to defend with the same skill
> >as the attacker. Indy could defend with any ability that he felt was
> >appropriate/advantagous, subject to improvisation modifiers.
>
> It comes to the same thing, though. You are either forced to use an ability
> you're weak at or an ability you're strong at with a hefty improv penalty.
> This wouldn't be a problem if it was just for one round but unfortunately
> what is used in the first round determines your starting APs (and, through
> this, the maximum you can bid if you have fewer APs in your pool than this).

The person who I was responding to (I don't remember who) cited Indy as having Flashy Swordplay 6, and this was the skill he was defending with, and so he only had 6 AP. This assumes that Indy has to defend with Flashy Swordplay because the attacker was attacking with this.

Also, I'm not sure that the swordsman was necessarily the initiator of the contest. If we consider the nonsense the swordsman was going through before getting shot was an attempt to use Flashy Swordplay to augment his Close Combat (i.e. a pre-contest augmentation), then Indy would actually be the one initiating the actual contest by just shooting him. If, on the other hand, we just consider this an attack, it would be perfectly reasonable, IMO, for Indy to defend with Close Combat, and I would certainly think that his Close Combat was more than a 6, given how skilled his is with his whip.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan_at_...              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

No, I don't hear voices in my head;
I'm the one that tells the voices in your head what to say.