Re: Re: Contest minutiae.

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 18:39:39 +0200

Alain Rameau 00-06-01 14.30

>> 2) A is firing missiles at B, B is closing to melee range. A as
>before. B
>> resists the ranged attack with whatever seems appropriate, but AP
>are
>> based on Close Combat since the stated intention as the contest
>starts is
>> "I want to fight him up close".
>
>This is definitely *not* as per the rules (as I understand them). You

Yeah, I know, I was testing Alex's views (now refuted by David D).

>could do that only if you consider two different contest : one for
>closing, and then one for close combat, where the AP are back to
>normal and relevant skill becomes close combat for both.

I would never run two different extended contests that close together.

One way someone suggested to deal with missile/magic fire before a melee is to roll it as simple contests. The problem I see with this is that if you hit someone with an arrow and get a marginal victory, they should be Dazed and unable to fight for a while. This is really cheap...

Another way to handle my example is to say that B starts out rolling against Close Combat as his missile defense, on the grounds that a combat ability should include the skill of manoeuvering into optimum striking distance. I think I would only allow this at relatively short range, though. Maybe even tack on an improv penalty.

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg