RE: Indy vrs the swordsman (was Re: My AP problems)

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 17:40:22 +0100

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson [mailto:rjremr_at_...]

>Option 2
>Narrator to Swordsman: "There he is, the guy you're supposed to take down.
>he looks kind of winded. You're the actor, what do you do?"
>Swordsman: " I try to overawe him with my flashy swordwork"
>Narrator: "He defends with 'Seen it all before'" <rolls, tie> "no effect.
He
>pulls out a gun and shoots you"

This is the one that bothers me.

Swordsman's flashy swordwork is high, Indy's seen-it-all-before is low. This determines the APs before Indy has a chance to choose what he wants to do.

And just out of interest, if Indy does shoot him now, and his seen it all before is rated 6 so he only has 6 action points, it does look like his gun ain't as powerful as if he'd been first actor.

>> Doing the whole lot with extended contest runs into problems if the
assassin
>> fails. Even if he fails miserably, the Duke is still forced to use his
lower
>> skill to determine his initial APs. That doesn't seem right.

>APs represent the "tide of battle". If you start out at a disadvantage
>(having to use a low skill), you have a lot of ground (AP) to make up, no
>matter how good you are. Even if you manage to clear your sword, you still
>are at a disadvantage for having had the Assassin hanging on your arm - you
>may be fatigued, frustrated or scared, or your opponent(s) may be high on
>adrenaline and anticipation. Fair? of course it's not fair! Fair fights are
>for idiots!

Yeah, but hang on a minute. Make the assassin a real Klutz! Absolutely useless. No chance at all of harming the Duke. But he is first actor and so forces the Duke to go hand-to-hand instead of use his sword. The Duke easily wins the encounter but, Damn! he thinks, even if I change to sword now I'm still clobbered by the low AP start because of this wally-assassin tapping me on the shoulder.

Richard