RE: Re: Getting injured (etc) multiple times - cumulative wounds

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:17:39 -0600

>From: "Jamie" <anti.spam_at_...>
>
>Fourth possibility!
>
>There is some merit in saying wounds above hurt are not cumulative.
>
>Reading HeroQuest and HeroWars rules and the Heroes book, there is no
>mention of stacking for impaired, injured, or obviously dying. As
>there are clearly rules for stacking hurts as well as adding hurts to
>the other states I think by omission they may imply that you don't get
>worse.

The way I read it, this is implicit in the rules, already. First, again, a penalty only applies if it's applicable. So they shouldn't stack where they are not applicable, of course.

But, further, the rules also say that the mechanical consequences of contests go away one of two ways: with a contest to "heal" that consequence. Or simply by the game events being such that the narrator rules that the consequence is no longer extant.

For example, you could have a result where the narrator said that going forward the player's hero was embarrassed toward one NPC, and had a -50% in dealing with that NPC alone. Well, if the player has his hero kill that NPC, well, you could keep that penalty in mind, but it's never going to come up again, now is it?

More classically, wounds heal with time. The narrator can just say, "You wake up the next morning, and those scrapes you have from leaping the chasm just aren't painful any more."

So, in your example, where the one -10% is replaced by the next, that seems to me to be just an application of this same principle. You're saying that, in the case in question, the second result makes the first obsolete.

What I wouldn't want, would be to lose the flexibility to say that I can stack injuries and such if they are all applicable, and all haven't been eliminated by contest, time, or circumstance.

Mike

MSN Shopping has everything on your holiday list. Get expert picks by style, age, and price. Try it!