Re: Cumulative wounds a rules variant

From: Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:24:35 -0000

Talking past each other again (I think). Yes to using any contest as potentially healing, but informed by player framing of circumstance, not by some objective measure.

You may agree or otherwise that the rules seem to imply this, but they don't say it.

BTW the healing rules result in getting worse on a total defeat for all three tables. No reversal necessary.

I put it to you, that the physical combat situation is the exception, and in any other instance where stacking might result, it would be possible to frame the conflict such that the healing table could be applied.

If this is the case, maybe we should not be so hung up on physical wounds, and frame physical combat in the same way, which is actually what the book suggests.

So we should stop worrying if the rules miraculously heal a broken leg, and instead never allow the circumstance of a broken leg (appears broken is fine).

If after a fight one was fatigued, bruised and dejected with a possible broken leg for -50% and then in the next emerged lightly bruised at -10% then that's an improvement, brought about by the circumstances of the conflict.

Now we only need to narrate the loss of the conflict and the reason that the improvement occurred.

"He is again beaten, but the fact that he was able to perform, that he could raise his blood when it mattered, has left him less dejected over his physical prowess. Oh and at least that leg held up. Maybe with a little help, he will prevail."