RE: Re: Cumulative wounds a rules variant

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:23:46 -0600

>From: "Jamie" <anti.spam_at_...>
>
>In my reading of the rules the error is saying that they are
>cumulative mechanically. Sure he is both injured and embarrassed, but
>I would take the larger of the two penalties into the contest. So my
>narration would involve both but the mechanical disadvantage would
>only reflect the worst case.

This is mechanically sound, but you're admitting that a character can be under the influence of more than one "state of health" at once. The rules don't say anywhere, "only take the largest penalty" it says to apply the penalty of the state whenever it's "appropriate." I see how you're extrapolating, but I think a narrow reading of the rules doesn't give it a lot of support. To get there you have to say that the penalty associated with a result is not the state itself, but a separate consideration, but yet that you use the mechanical penalty of the worse state... seems a long way to go to avoid applying both penalties.

For whatever that's worth.

>From a POV of what's effective, too, I think adding is the more interesting
option. I mean, your system now is allowing for "breadth" of damage, but it's not allowing for multiple consequences to actually have a mechanical result. Odd in a game that allows unlimited augmenting. Just wouldn't feel right to me to ignore a penalty, just because a worse one exists.

I think I see your argument for why you think the rules support the method you're puttinf forth. But outside of that, do you think that it's actually a superior method to adding? If so, why?

Mike

Share your latest news with your friends with the Windows Live Spaces friends module.