Re: Joining an Extended Contest

From: Brian Curley <bkcurley_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:53:33 -0600

> Posted by: "Jamie" anti.spam_at_... orlanthumathi
> Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:46 am (PST)
>> Question: Four of the heroes are going to have their starting APs
>> determined by the abilities they use to resist the broo attacks. After
>> the initial surprise round, how do you determine when the two heroes
>> who weren't attacked act?

> I agree with Mike here, this phrasing in itself is not consistant with
> the rules. This, I think, is a more fundamental misunderstanding than
> the issue of when players join contests.

Yep. As soon as Mike said "There's no such mechanical thing as a surprise round" I realized where I was going wrong. Old habits.

> If you think the following is a side issue please feel free to ignore
> it, but I would be interested in your answer, and we might all gain
> somthing from the exchange if we do.
>
> The action of the Broos in your case lacks specific goals, and there
> are two different ways to play it.
>
> 1) You as the narrator decide on the goals of the Broo in the contest,
> and these goals inform how the contest is handled.
>
> 2) You present the ambush situation to the players, and ask them to
> come up with goals, which you then use to inform the contest.
>
> Which do you feel most comfortable doing with your group?

My gut would be to go with 1, but I can see how 2 might make for a more interesting exchange.

> If 1, could you detail the goals of the Broo (or alternatives) for us,
> then we can get more specific with the example? We need this because
> contests are very goal sensitive in HQ.

For the sake of discussion, let's say I go this route. The Broos goal is probably as simple as "kill these guys (PCs) and take their stuff."