Re: Assigning "what you need to succeed"

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:38:21 -0600

>From: "L.Castellucci" <lightcastle_at_...>
>
> > One thing I take advantage of is the statement that marginal victories
>tend
> > to include negative effects (and marginal defeats have some positive
> > effects).
>
>Wait. Where does this come from? I don't see it in the rulebook.

I'm not going to look for it, because I may be imagining it. But it certainly gets in as a technique under the general idea of situation that I describe elsewhere.

> > Oh, and keep in mind that the healing resistance for a consequence of a
> > Complete Defeat is only 20W:
>
>Yes, that is true. And maybe a bit odd.

Call it dramatic convention. Note also, however, that this doesn't heal a dead person. It heals a "Dying" person. If you want a dead person back, that's a heroquest, IMO. :-)

>So someone made a roll against 20W to make the forest "not so easy to hunt
>in
>again".

Well, sorta. I don't believe in actually haveing NPCs roll contests. I just declare them successful or not. But the idea is that they did something that altered the forest in such a way as it's now a different source of conflict, or a "repaired" old one. The point is that Complete Defeats are not permanent changes. They only alter the target in such a way as to make them incapable of resisting something until such time as that alteration is reversed.

Or that's the perspective that makes it all hang together for me, at least.

Mike

WIN up to $10,000 in cash or prizes � enter the Microsoft Office Live Sweepstakes http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0050001581mrt/direct/01/