Presetting Stakes and AP Bid Limits

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:41:05 -0600

>From: "L.Castellucci" <lightcastle_at_...>
>
>*nod* I think as long as the group knew that it could happen and went with
>it,
>I'd be cool.

Weeel. Certainly you're right. But I personally think this takes some of the suspense out of play. That is, I think that the group can accept it as an outcome if they trust the narrator. That is, they feel that the narrator is creating this sort of detail not in some attempt to hose them, or control their actions, but simply as a way of creating a richer texture to play.

But, yes, my players do know that I tend to leave these alternate effect consequences for marginal results, so they're prepared that I might do something like this. Just not what.

>It hasn't come up often enough to really be a bother, but once when someone
>was caught off guard with a low stat we found that not being allowed to bid
>more than 8 was really limiting. (Especially since he was able to switch to
>more appropriate stat the next round.)

Wait...the player can always bid up to his starting AP. That's the Desperation Stakes rule. I'm not familiar with a rule that says you can only bid up to your currently used ability...

Mike

View Athlete�s Collections with Live Search http://sportmaps.live.com/index.html?source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=MGAC01