Re: Presetting Stakes and AP Bid Limits

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:10:11 -0800

>>It hasn't come up often enough to really be a bother, but once when
>>someone
>>was caught off guard with a low stat we found that not being allowed to
>>bid
>>more than 8 was really limiting. (Especially since he was able to switch
>>more appropriate stat the next round.)
>
> Wait...the player can always bid up to his starting AP. That's the
> Desperation Stakes rule. I'm not familiar with a rule that says you can
> only
> bid up to your currently used ability...

There is no rule that says you can only bid your current ability in AP, but if you *started* the contest with a "8" ability (and AP), then that's your max Desperation Bid. There's even notes in the book about trying to force an opponent to respond with a low inital ability to restrict his AP. It's part of the original Robin manuscript.

RR