RE: Problems with a player's 100 words

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 09:50:36 +0000 (GMT)

Hang on a mo Mike, you mean you'd look at the character creation rules and say:

"Hey, there's this list method which means I get 10 abilities or this narrative method which means I can screw between 20 and 40 out easily"

without wondering if perhaps, just perhaps, your understanding was a bit skewed?

I'll take your word that the geezer's "story lead", whatever that means, and just mention there's not really a lot there that contributes to the character's story. There's nothing evocative. He's a blank set of attributes. He's a good 4th level rogue/4th level fighter. No questions are asked in the narrative: Why's he so good at all these things (Born on Krypton? Script Immunity? Golden Spoon In Mouth?), where does he fit into the world (singular lack of relationships, is he a "Man With No Name"), what's he like as a person internally (what drives him to be a great overachiever, "Teased at School", "My Father Made Me Feel Small")?

The big problem with a fist full of attribute and skill like abilities is that they're tedious to have to sit through while he spends ages reciting his narrative and totting up oodles of piddly +1 augments. Plus it's a complete balls ache to play as well. I've given up playing HQ at cons*. It takes me too long to assimilate the sheer mass of detail on the average character sheet.

Maybe PBeM is a bit different (not done it for a long while) and these factors might not be so important but it'd drive me to drink fairly quickly round a table top.

On the practical side: Does everyone else in the group share their narratives? If they do then the player should see fairly quickly that there's something a bit different with his technique.

Cheers,

Ash

*The odd game of Char-Un intrigue excluded