Re: Re: Character Generation

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:00:26 +0000 (GMT)

> > Lifting it from 13 to 13+10 = 3W. Wow. Meanwhile
> the
> > keyword skills can get up to 17+10 = 7W. Higher.
> So
> > the abilities you're actually interested in start
> > lower than the ones were you're the same as
> everyone
> > else: or, as you say, at the same level if they
> > overlap.
>
> Not sure I follow this point at all. What exactly
> are you comparing here?

Abilities from the 100 words with those from the keywords. They're the one's we're actually interested in, but they start (even) lower.

> > Oh, yes, and this is the rules fiddle I use to
> claim
> > that my own chargen method is "legal", not just a
> > question of ignoring the **** system (as if I
> cared).
>
> So we agree, in practice if not in principle.

In practice, I use the numbers assigned to each ability as descriptive, not restrictive, ignore all the fetters designed to restrain munchkins, and get on with creating interesting characters who fit the setting and the plot.