RE: Character Generation - Why bother with Guidelines?

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:57:30 -0600

>From: "Roderick Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
>
>Now, it may be that I have some innate ability to make things up or ignore
>rules that other people don't have, but I don't think so. I take what I
>need
>or want from the rules, and ignore what I don't. If I'm in someone else's
>game I play by *their* subset of the rules. We all do it.

Where'd that come from? Somebody saying that it's wrong to change the rules? Who? I know I'd be pretty hypocritical if I said that, being as I alter the rules explicitly all the time for my games. And, in fact, that's precisly what Jane's talking about doing here, too.

I completely agree with you, however, that the limits set by the rules make a lot of sense, and aren't just there in fear of bad players. I agree that most players will go for the limits if given them. Starting with me. The reason we play HQ (or I do, at least) is because they need as little modification as possible from how they're written to produce a good game.

Mike

Find sales, coupons, and free shipping, all in one place! �MSN Shopping Sales & Deals
http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctid=198,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=200639