Re: Character Generation - Why bother with Guidelines?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:15:08 +0000 (GMT)

> Just anecdotal evidence...
>
> When I started my on-line Engiziland game, ..

> *Every* single person then used the guidelines I
> provided for Character Generation.

Oh, guidelines, sure. Guidelines are good. You need to know what the "norm" is to know what you're differing from, you need to know what the upper and lower limits of the group you're with are, so you know how you fit in.

But I bet none of your players sat there thinking "but I only have 13 more points to spend, now do I put 5 into my Intelligent so that's a overall augment leaving 3 for each weapon type, or throw it all at one weapon and hope with augments that'll push me over the mastery, or... hang on, 13-5 is 8, isn't it? sod it, do the sums again... oh, and no more than 10 allowed anyway, so I need somewhere else to spend 3 points.." aargh! If you want that, I'm told Sudoko is fun.

> Is this "legal"? Damn straight it is.

Do we care if it isn't? Me, no. But oddly enough, some people seem to act as if they do.

> Are you going to shut down my game
> because of it? Is Greg? Robin? Rick? Mark?

I'd like to see you try :)

> Now, it may be that I have some innate ability to
> make things up or ignore
> rules that other people don't have, but I don't
> think so.

Actually, from things said on this list and others, I think you do. Us Orlanthi types take it so for granted, it's easy to forget that some people effectively can't breath. Both in rules and in setting, people come out with statements along the lines of "but it doesn't say you can do that in the rules!" Poor sods. But if one of them's your GM, you're sitting there with a spreadsheet thinking "but all I wanted was a warrior with near god-like good looks and a celibacy geas, why is this so hard?"

When I took the brakes off Swords, one of the first comments I got was "now maybe Landros can be what I intended him to be all along".