Re: Character Generation - Why bother with Guidelines?

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:45:10 -0800

> But I bet none of your players sat there thinking "but
> I only have 13 more points to spend, now do I put 5
> into my Intelligent so that's a overall augment
> leaving 3 for each weapon type, or throw it all at one
> weapon and hope with augments that'll push me over the
> mastery, or... hang on, 13-5 is 8, isn't it? sod it,
> do the sums again... oh, and no more than 10 allowed
> anyway, so I need somewhere else to spend 3 points.."
> aargh! If you want that, I'm told Sudoko is fun.

I wouldn't take that bet, if I were you. I had some pretty complicated character sheets turned in, with the exact number of points that the person put into their character. While I can't say that the playwers did or didn't suffer over how to allocate those points, the end result (and some follow-up questions) would tend to indicate that they did.

>> Is this "legal"? Damn straight it is.
>
> Do we care if it isn't? Me, no. But oddly enough, some
> people seem to act as if they do.

As I mentioned in my message to Mike, I hereby absolve any person from feeling guilt or shame over messing with the rules.

>> Now, it may be that I have some innate ability to
>> make things up or ignore
>> rules that other people don't have, but I don't
>> think so.
>
> Actually, from things said on this list and others, I
> think you do. Us Orlanthi types take it so for

Hmm, *I* don't think so, but them what do I know, I'm the only person who'se head I've been in.

RR