Re: Re: Character Generation

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:33:06 +0000 (GMT)

> >But your String Bean ability can only get as high
> as
> >13+10, right? Whereas something off a keyword would
> be
> >capped at 17+10. And if your character concept
> >involves being the best Bean-stringer in the tribe,
> >tough, you can't play that, keyword or not.
>
> Well, there's two things going on here. If nobody in
> the tribe has a keyword
> in which string bean exists as an ability, then by
> putting it a +10, you're
> going to be the best of the "starting characters" at
> this, in fact.

That's true. Though if the "String Bean" ability is used against something more "normal" in a contest, comparison with keyword abilities does become a factor. "Best in tribe at X" does have a standard value.

> If you're saying that you think that "starting
> characters" are too low
> powered, I'm right there with you.

Well... if you want characters at that sort of "power", then those are the levels to use, and if not, then not - but I was thinking more of the character whose overall "power" is "normal" (whatever that means), but who has one or two abilities that are both weird and unusually high.

> >(String Bean? I'm fascinated now. Is this vegetable
> >preparation, or necklace making?)
>
> Means like a thin green bean here in the US, and
> refering to a person with
> it means a tall thin person.

Ah, right. I think I prefer my versions :)

> I needed an ability quick.

Looks better than "skinny", as names go.

> >Very true. But why not start with the player
> saying,
> >explicitly "I want him being tall to be a major
> factor
> >in the plot and in how other people see him" and
> then
> >as a completely separate action, agreeing with the
> GM
> >on a number to represent how tall he is? Which
> might be 12.....
>
> Because it seems easier not to have to have that
> negotiation. Call me lazy as a narrator.

I wouldn't do that: but then the negotiation I've done with players along those lines has generally been that they ask what the norm is if I haven't already told them, they suggest a number, I agree to it. For something they've already said is important to them, I can cope with this. The real effort goes into working out how to base plot around it.

> > > But those have to be determined on a
> per-character
> > > basis. I want a hard limit that works for
> everybody.
> >
> >Why? What's the attraction?
>
> Simpler. I have nothing against complexity. But the
> alternative doesn't do
> anything for me. It's just more complex.

Probably a difference in what we regard as "complex", then. To me, having to spend hours doing sums is complexity I'd much rather avoid.

> > > So that people don't think your "we" applies to
> > > everybody on the list.
> >
> >(blank look) How on earth could it? Telepathic
> ability
> >to read the minds of everyone on the list... that
> >would be impressive, but not likely.
>
> Then to whom did it refer? Was it the royal "We?"

Without a link to the specific sentence you're refering to I have no idea, and it seems to have got snipped a long time back. Probably not royal, my ancestral links with royalty are a bit far back for that.

> Was it just the Swords group, then?

Probably. That's the only game I run, so the only one where I determine the system in use.

> Do you have telepathy with them?

It feels like it at times :) Not that I need it for this (if we're talking about the "no limits" thing), I did this "direct communication" idea. Asked them what they thought of the concept, they answered. No guesswork needed. OK, so the initial answer was "you're mad!"...

> You've played in two games with me as well...

But I've never had you as a player in a game I've run, unless I'm forgetting something.

> You'll have to forgive me if I misunderstood you.

Email does this at times :(

All New Yahoo! Mail � Tired of Vi_at_gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html