Re: Cheating?

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 09:07:16 -0800

>>I define munchkins as those who cheat.
>
> And the more I think about that, the more baffled I
> get. How does one "cheat", at HQ? Never mind why,
> that'll always be unanswerable, *how*?

The "traditional" method is to fudge die rolls. "Yep, fourth Critical in a roll, I'm hot tonight, baby".

However, there is more to munchkinism than mere cheating.

Optimization comes in, especially in games with more restrictive GharGen procedures. If there are lots of points to add up, it's easy to slip in a few extra here and there, especially if the GM has already read a bunch of character sheets and is getting tired of doing the math. This is possible to do in HQ. Of course, Jane's "You can take what you want" method scotches this, and 20 isn't a lot of points.

Other systems also allow much more ihn the way of synergy between skills - so if you take " 'Good at languages' for 5 points, then all you languages are at half price" type of stuff - lots of room to hide a few Chargen points. HQ doesn't have this sort of CharGen synergy.

Reduce unused stats to gain in used stats - the old "Sacrafice Charisma to boost Strength" from D&D. HQ doesn't have stats.

Once a character is created, the munchkin will go for high-yield prizes- demanding the +5 Vorpal toenail clippers and that sort of thing.

A munchkin is not squeemish when it comes to stabbing fellow PCs in the back (often literally - "Rougue" is a favorite Munchkin class). It doesn't matter if it fits the story or not, they'll do it to get the magic sword/last hit on the Ancient Red Dragon so they get all the exeprience points for it, whatever. Story is only followed until the munchki is in sight of his goal (it that).

RR