Re: Re: Cheating?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:52:41 +0000 (GMT)

Me:
>> How does one "cheat", at HQ? Never mind why,
> > that'll always be unanswerable, *how*?

Tim Ellis :
> Same way as you cheat at any other game...

I don't...

> Ignore the number on the dice ..
> ignore the limitations of the rules ..
> Ignore misapplied worship restrictions,..
> Change your 100 word narrative/10 Word list
> after play has started.

And now I see one reason why I have a blank spot for all this. Those are more or less impossible in PBeM: at least, impossible to do without being caught at it.

> "Miscaculate" augments.
> Augment with dubious skills et etc.

Happens, but easily checked. The few minutes for the GM (or another player) to read and correct just isn't a problem.

> Also note that many of these could
> be perfectly legitimate in some peoples games, if
> not positively encouraged.

Tell me about it :)

And now I come to think of it, there is one other method of "cheating" that I've done, though I assumed I would get caught, and admitted to it when Guy, the GM at the time, didn't catch on. Retrospective editing of reality.

Here's the post(s), starting with Guy responding to another player.

Guy:
> hmmmm... since i don't remember anything about
Vak-Slurrrupshu in the
> Horn Gate scenario i think this deserves quite a
high resistance. if
> you tied it in with something that we know about i'd
be more
> generous.

Me:
Don't remember it? It's right there in the Chronicles! Go here, then page up about a screen:
(link no longer useful)

Guy:
> it WAS in the horn gate scenarion. holy shit -
that's even better.
> ok, let's say resistance is 17. that's absurdly low,
but its so funny
> its gotta be worth putting in...

Me:
Oh soddit Dori's geases keep hitting me as well :( "do not decieve narrator"
It was in the Horn Gate chronicles *as of late last night*.
Editors have time machines.

Guy:
ah - well, keep it. its still funny
we'll go back to using the higher resistance, though. and don't do it again. unless its funny ;o)

hmm, since I've now found the additional text in the group message archive, I think I'll put it back in again - it *was* funny.