Re: Vorpal toenail clippers?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:25:09 +0000 (GMT)

> Jane
> > Hmm.... can you define "vorpal" for me? That
> sounds
> > like a fascinating magical item.

Gavain:
> ISTR that in D&D that a vorpal blade was one that
> could behead monsters with a high enough roll.

Ah, thanks. So these would be toenail clippers that.... hang on....
that have the Hu the Sword Sword Combat feat of "Decapitate Foe" built into them... er....

Who made them? What were they thinking of???

brain chugs into life, this is more interesting than preparing sprouts for tomorrow....

ok, toenail clippers aren't (normally) an offensive weapon, you can carry them around without being as obvious as a Sodding Big Sword (tm).

Humakti assassins. Disguised as manicurists. The Vorpal Toenail Clippers, a small dagger. A non-magical dagger, because that *is* a weapon and would get inspected. Didn't we half-develop the sub-cult of Humakt the Hairdresser for some completely different purpose?

Yes, that's right (memory fires up as well). The Arming of Humakt. We'd based it on the Arming of Orlanth. There's a bit where Orlanth gets his hair tied back with a ribbon, just before putting his mail-shirt on, and as someone who's tried it, I commented that this is a good idea if you don't want your hair ripped out. Or you could wear a padded coif. But Humakt, we decided, probably cuts the hair short rather than wearing romantic mementoes. Hence the ritual significance of Humakt the Hairdresser.

It's all starting to make sense.... probably fits in with those Esrolians who are said to wear black silk and a lot of lace. They get laughed at, but so do Sword Drakes.

all right, all right, back to the sprouts and peeling potatoes...

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html