Re: Re: Character Generation

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:30:17 +0000 (GMT)

> > > Also, in the real world we see people doing a
> > > manaegment job and we
> > > immediately think they must have 2 masteries in
> > > measuring, painting or admin.
> >
> > We do?
>
> They were abilities that were meant to describe
> three different
> professions, not the skill set of the average
> programming manager!!
> lol

Phew! OK, in almost any job other than "manager" I'd agree with you, one assumes that if someone's been a pro for a bit, they know what they're doing. If they're a manager, I've seen enough Peter Principle results to be rather more cynical.

> If you beat someone who is a decent warrior,
> > > then you are better than him, even if he was
> your second fight and
> > > you may have won more through luck (lucky die
> roll/ Hero Point?) than ability.

> > Sure. And that gets you an ability such as
> "undeserved
> > reputation as a fighter among X clan" - the time
> it's
> > happened, I started the ability at the same level
> as
> > the combat ability of the person they'd defeated.
> It's causing all sorts of trouble!
>
> Thats interesting. I would have used the same logic
> as you in that
> situation. What is the problem with that solution??

It's a solution I'm perfectly happy with, but others may see handing out a double-mastery ability for free, not one at 13 for a HP, as a problem. It doesn't limit the character! Horror! As far as I can see, it's an accurate representation of the situation, so I use the abilities and numbers on the character sheet to describe it.

> > But the people who you train alongside every day
> won't
> > be fooled. In fact, nor will half the people
> watching
> > the original fight.
>
> I spent years training at martial arts and fighting
> full contact in
> competitions and I happen to disagree with your
> assesment. However,
> the point is really aesthetic and a personal
> interpretation of the
> rules so no point in debating it further. Maybe over
> a pint at the next convention?

Or at the next pub meet, if we can find a pub/restuarant where we can make ourselves heard. At a convention, I'd hope we'd be too busy gaming.