Re: PC Power Level and Advancement (was Re: [HeroQuest-RPG] new guy here)

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd01_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:18:29 -0600

Read to the second response first please.

On 1/11/07, Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...> wrote:
> Not precisely getting what you're saying about Augments,

Looking for augments takes a certain amount of time and effort. Right now, I have three of four players who have demonstrated by their actions that they won't do much of this without being prompted by the narrator - and they will generally stop doing this when the prompting stops.

I prefer to find a method that the players embrace more enthusiastically. I tried to go diceless with this group, but that seemed like it was one step too many, so now I have play style that seems to work for our group (at the risk of offending them, three casual gamers and one more intense, with powergaming, method acting, and narrativist tendencies - and me an intense narrativist with a little of the rest of the tendencies - don't take the labels too seriously; I don't and I probably got something wrong).

Other groups may be different, with different effective management strategies. The groups I played with in the 80s and early 90s would have proactively collected augments. I don't game with them anymore (that was 4+ moves ago), so I have adapted to the groups I've gamed with since.

> but I didn't intend
> it to sound like my way was the only way to get more powerful characters.
> Just one suggestion.

I took your words as suggestions. I'm not advocating my current style, but I am offering it as an alternative perspective on how the game can be managed. No conflict, just variety. You're not right or wrong, and I'm not either.

> More precisely, I'm advocating looking at these things
> instead of just adopting the book standard - on which it seems that you and
> I completely agree.

I agree with leaving the book behind where appropriate for your style, so yes I think we agree. HeroQuest and Hero Wars (and RuneQuest and D&D and so on) are great starting points (or even finishing points).

I wish I had some game specific stuff. Maybe I'll contemplate how Lunar my approach to this discussion is.

Thanks,
Andy