Pagan vs. Heathen

From: Raśl <eikinskialdi_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:06:30 -0000

Hi everyone,

I'm using Black Horse County Magic Keywords from HW book for a few NPC rivals. Among a few blessing there are "Resist Pagan God" and "Resist Heathen Spirit" (I think they also are in The Abiding Book as blessings or spells, but I don't have HQ book here), specifically designed to resist theism (Pagan God) and animism (Heathen Spirit) magic.

I remember also a "Overcome Pagan Magic" spell from a Saintly Order of the White Chapel of Purity in Masters of Luck and Death. Moreover, I've seen "pagan", "heathen" and any few more similar terms in others fonts.

"heathen" is synonimous of "pagan", but as term of game "heathen" is different from "pagan"? i.e. can Overcome Pagan Magic be used against theism or animism magic indistinctly without improvisation modifier? Is "Pagan" related always to Theism? and "Heathen" to Animism?

Also I have noticed that The Abiding Book and most of churchs, orders and schools don't offer protection (blessings or spells) against wizardry (except "Resist Sorcery", but it's very specific against Sorcerers; no liturgists, ordenates or wizards)

Then I suppose only piety abilities (Veneration [Saint],...) can be used as resistence against enemy wizardry but with -10 or -20

Thanks in advance

Raul