Re: Pagan vs. Heathen

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:18:54 -0800

Raul

>I'm using Black Horse County Magic Keywords from HW book for a few
>NPC rivals. Among a few blessing there are "Resist Pagan God"
>and "Resist Heathen Spirit" (I think they also are in The Abiding
>Book as blessings or spells, but I don't have HQ book here),
>specifically designed to resist theism (Pagan God) and animism
>(Heathen Spirit) magic.

>"heathen" is synonimous of "pagan", but as term of game "heathen" is
>different from "pagan"? i.e. can Overcome Pagan Magic be used against
>theism or animism magic indistinctly without improvisation modifier?
>Is "Pagan" related always to Theism? and "Heathen" to Animism?

Yes, in game terms that's how I'd interpret them. HeroQuest tries to distinguish the source of the magic (which Otherworld it derives from).

>Also I have noticed that The Abiding Book and most of churchs, orders
>and schools don't offer protection (blessings or spells) against
>wizardry (except "Resist Sorcery", but it's very specific against
>Sorcerers; no liturgists, ordenates or wizards)
>
>Then I suppose only piety abilities (Veneration [Saint],...) can be
>used as resistence against enemy wizardry but with -10 or -20

Well, you can use any appropriate ability to defend [HQ p.98]. For example, if someone's trying to induce fear in you, you can resist with Iron Will or Brave. But those don't help against Knock Down Foe. The advantage of Resist Heathen Spirit is that it works against *any* spirit from *any* heathen (animist). You can also use Venerate [Saint] against any wizardry spell, but it's not specific to that purpose, so it suffers a penalty (probably not -20, since that's explicitly mentioned for defending against magic from a different Otherworld).

--

David Dunham