RE: Re:Pagan vs. Heathen

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:37:26 -0600

>From: "ttrotsky2" <TTrotsky_at_...>
>
>I'll point out that the word isn't Arabic (although its not an
>official term in Catholicism, either), and makes as much sense as a
>Christian description of a Moslem as it does the reverse.

Sure, in fact I think that the origin is with the crusaders. Saying, "You did not maintain your fidelity to the church of Christ." And it being turned on them, "You have not fidelity to the teachings of Mohammed." Rather both are saying that the other are "people of the book" who went astray.

But, again, this is a fantasy world, and the meanings that people use for the words won't be Earth historical, but common meanings applied to the setting at hand.

>Besides which, I try to have the Malkioni not be carbon copies of
>Christians; much of their ritual and so on *is* closer to Islam than
>to Christianity, IMO.

Well then using "infidel" is an interesting choice. On the one hand you argue that the term fits the west, and then you say that you don't want Malkioni to be like the west. Pick a side! :-)

>Beware of using just one model, is
>my motto: Glorantha is not Earth.

Right, but you gotta pick a term. I note how many Lunar words, even made up words, sound Latin. Again, that's unavoidable that we have to use English. But we do have a choice of terms from English.

> > Sure, but what about Hrestoli vs. Rokari, for instance? Heretical would
> > apply here, no?
>
>Absolutely!

Heretic and infidel are sounding pretty similar here. I'd hazard that infidel has a "foreign" connotation? You say "non-Malkioni" but I think you mean foreign Malkioni or something? Are they synonomous? Or can you give an example of the difference?

If you needed a definitional split, Heretics could be folks who claim to be working from the same knowledge base with different interpretations. While Infidels could be claiming to be working from other revelations.

On the other hand, quoting from Wikipedia: Heresy is defined by Thomas Aquinas as "a species of infidelity in men who, having professed the faith of Christ, corrupt its dogmas." So... :-)

Mike

Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctId=8323,ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24095&tcode=wlmtagline