Re: Benefits of Illumination

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:28:21 +1300

At 04:09 p.m. 29/01/2007, you wrote:

>I was wondering what was considered being able to surpass normal
>barriers and separations? Gravity seems to apply; are doors an example
>of a barrier or separation?

I think the barriers meant are mostly those of social barriers and seperations, ie doing the things normal people would not do. Ye olde unlamented mysticism rules stated that an ability score of 1w4 was necessary to levitate, which seems too high for me. I think Lunars have a somewhat easier time of levitating because they are merely repeating the truths of their goddess (who did rise up into the sky). But the real problem with lunar levitation might not be how high you can rise but to do something else as well as levitating. In other words, a lunar illuminate can levitate a mile high with ease but trying to spot anything on the horizon takes a real presence of mind.

So I would use the modifiers on p100 of HQ (distance and duration) as penalties to the task the illuminate is attempting up there. And if the illuminate should fumble, it's a long way to the bottom...

>Does Illumination allow an individual to
>obtain devotee-level magic from multiple entities (overcoming the
>apparent separation of these beings)?

I would have said yes on the basis of past Illuminate approaches but Roderick has said otherwise. Basically I think that while the God is powerless against illumination, his cultists are not. If the illuminate takes the effort to behave as a pious worshipper, then there will be little problem. If the illuminate were seen to be worshipping at multiple non-lunar cults, some with a history of anatagonism with each other, then there will be hell to pay.

--Peter Metcalfe