Re: Benefits of Illumination

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:37:49 +1100

On 29/01/07, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:
> I would have said yes on the basis of past Illuminate approaches
> but Roderick has said otherwise. Basically I think that while the
> God is powerless against illumination, his cultists are not.
> If the illuminate takes the effort to behave as a pious worshipper,
> then there will be little problem. If the illuminate were seen to
> be worshipping at multiple non-lunar cults, some with a history
> of anatagonism with each other, then there will be hell to pay.

This makes a lot of sense, although messing about with a lot of non-Lunar entities is going to cause the illuminate all manner of problems next time the All comes knocking...

I had wondered if there might have been a logistical problem with respect to maintaining commitments (65% + 65% etc...), but then again presumably Illumination allows you to bypass some of the exoteric signs of commitment thanks to a more fundamental understanding about the entity; and, at least with Lunar cults, fellow-members might be willing to compromise on attendence (afterall, presumably they want to become illuminates some day...).

--
John Machin
- Athanasius Kircher, 'The Great Art of Knowledge.