Re: Benefits of Illumination

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:27:11 -0800

> On 29/01/07, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:
>> I would have said yes on the basis of past Illuminate approaches
>> but Roderick has said otherwise. Basically I think that while the
>> God is powerless against illumination, his cultists are not.
>> If the illuminate takes the effort to behave as a pious worshipper,
>> then there will be little problem. If the illuminate were seen to
>> be worshipping at multiple non-lunar cults, some with a history
>> of anatagonism with each other, then there will be hell to pay.
>
> This makes a lot of sense, although messing about with a lot of
> non-Lunar entities is going to cause the illuminate all manner of
> problems next time the All comes knocking...

See page 35 - the hero is penalized by relations to non-Lunar entities when Confronting the All.

> I had wondered if there might have been a logistical problem with
> respect to maintaining commitments (65% + 65% etc...), but then again
> presumably Illumination allows you to bypass some of the exoteric
> signs of commitment thanks to a more fundamental understanding about

Nope, Illumination does *not* give you more time to join different cults, or reduce the time requirement. You still can't be a multiple-Devotee. But you *could* be a devotee of a God and a Shaman of a Spirit Practice at the same time (You'd use at least 80% of your time, up to 100%, but it is *possible*).

The Illuminate *does* get to ignore the "No magic but from your god" restriction of a Devotee, though.

> the entity; and, at least with Lunar cults, fellow-members might be
> willing to compromise on attendence (afterall, presumably they want to
> become illuminates some day...).

About 10% of a Novitiate or Ordinate's Time requirement is the base level of the Lunar Way (not that a multiple-novitiate only spends an additional 25% if he joins another Denomination, not the full 35%). Special dispensation (from the Heads of both Denominations, or even from the Immortals themselves, or maybe if your Dad is the Emperor...) would be required to make a multiple-Ordinate. Possible, but not for Joe or Jane Lunar.

Remember that Devotees/Ordinates are not *supposed* to be worshipping other entities. If you want to worship multiple entities, do so as a Novitiate/Initiate/Practitioner/Orderly. Devotees are supposed to be devoted to *one* God(dess).

Heroquest doesn't support the whole "RuneLord of Yelmalio, RunePriest of Humakt" idea of earlier Runequests.

RR