Re: Benefits of Illumination

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:08:40 +1100

On 29/01/07, Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...> wrote:
> First, forget Devotees if you're talking about Lunars. Just wipe the word
> from your mind - they are Ordinates. We thought long and hard about what to
> call them - we did think about just using "Devotee", but since they have a
> different set of magical abiltiies, "devotee" didn't quite fit.

Thanks for clearing that up!

> Correct, he'd get Feats from the Immortal he was an Ordinate of, and
> Affinities from the one he was a novitiate of. (Assuming they both had
> Affinities, of course). Of course, he could as easily be a Lunar/Rinliddi,
> or Lunar/Praxian, or Lunar/Hrestoi. He'd get whatever magic was available to
> a person of his magical rank in the Cult/Order/Practice/School. And yes, he
> could still have Common magic (of any kind, not just Lunar) and use it as
> active abilities (because he counts as being Concentrated in all the
> worlds).

And that. :)

> Even the current Red Moon (Rufelza), is still only *one* aspect of the Great
> Moon (Sedenya). No one is expected to embody the moon in all Her forms (and
> no-one can, except the great Moon Goddess herself).

I suppose this makes some sense, although presumably some Occluded people might try (afterall some of those earlier mystic chaps tried this sort of thing with Orlanth, if I have that understood correctly...). I also expect that this kind of decision prevents the "Gotta Catch Em All" approach you mention in connection with other RPG versions of Glorantha with a kind of cosmological fiat.

> Oh, right, you're *that* fellow. :-) (Don't mind me, I usually lose track of
> who said what when).

I'm trying to catch up! Mostly by hounding the experts with questions... ;)

--
John Machin
- Athanasius Kircher, 'The Great Art of Knowledge.