Re: Benefits of Illumination

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.h_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:35:56 -0000

> The idea behind the "Your job as worship" is that you're using your
Merchant
> (frex) abilities to emulate a single god. You bargain the way he
did, value
> your goods the way he did, take only this kind of payment the way he
did,
> etc. When you start emulating two gods, your "merchant" abilities start
> interfereing with each other - This god loves to bargain *this* way
and use
> these phrases. That one does it some other way - which might or
might not be
> antithetical to your first god's way - Issaries Goldentongue's merchant
> abilities are different from Etyries are different from Lokarnos.

Now I am confused because I thought this was precisely the sort of cult/religious/otherworld restriction that an illuminate could ignore. Of course such a devotee would be far from ideal but the fact that you have the wrong frame of mind when you take an action is between you and your god and for an illuminate this restriction is one I thought they can surpass. If the god can object to the frame of mind or attitude of an illuminated worshipper how do illuminates ever get away with the things they are documented as getting away with?

There is a question of whether mundane fellow-devotees will spot it but despite the cult outlook I struggle to believe there are no grasping Issaries cultists and no Etyries cultists who love the challenge of haggling as much as they love winning. Which is really just to say that being a less than model devotee does not necessarily make everyone suspect you are an illuminate - after all if you were that much of a model devotee you would be half-way to being a disciple already.

So somehow I've got the wrong end of the stick, I'm just not sure where.

--
Nic