Re: Re: Benefits of Illumination

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:04:41 -0800

> Now I am confused because I thought this was precisely the sort of
> cult/religious/otherworld restriction that an illuminate could ignore.

It's not restrictions so much as ways of doing things. You can't use Issaries rites to contact Etyries or Lokarnos, frex, at least not without a lot of improvisation. And the "doing your job like your god" is all about little rites and rituals that you do subconsciously - it's just the way you were taught by your boss/priest/whoever. Issaries is pleased when you do things *this* way, because that's the way he did them.

> Of course such a devotee would be far from ideal but the fact that you
> have the wrong frame of mind when you take an action is between you
> and your god and for an illuminate this restriction is one I thought
> they can surpass. If the god can object to the frame of mind or
> attitude of an illuminated worshipper how do illuminates ever get away
> with the things they are documented as getting away with?

It's not a frame of mind, it the actions you perform and the words you say. An illuminate can get away from the "frame of mind" stuff, but not the physical. If you don't spit on your palm and slap hands with the customer at the end of the deal, you haven't completed Issaries' Bargaining Ritual, you've left it hanging (even if you completed some *other* god's Bargaining ritual). Issaries won't get the benefit of a "closed deal". That 15 minutes or whatever wouldn't count towards your responsibility to Issaries, because you haven't done it "right". (Worst of all would be to start a bargaining session using one god's rituals, and close it with another's; then neither one gets the "benefit" and all *you* get is money).

> There is a question of whether mundane fellow-devotees will spot it
> but despite the cult outlook I struggle to believe there are no
> grasping Issaries cultists and no Etyries cultists who love the

I'm using a f'instance here, don't delve too deeply into the guts of it! I don't know if Issaries loves haggling or Lokarnos just posts a price and expects you to pay, and it can certainly be different in everyone's Glorantha. What's important is that the different bargaining methodologies require different actions on the part of the merchant - in additon to the specifics like spitting on your palm, shaking hands, or whatever. Issaries might require the merchant to ask three times if that's the buyer's final offer before selling it, while the Etyries "go for the jugular" rites might be to jump on the price before the buyer has a chance to change his mind. If the Etyries asks "Is that really your final offer?" he'd not be completeing the Etyries rite correctly.

An Illuminates frame of mind and connection to the Otherside are one thing, and can be spoofed by Illumination. His actions are an entirely different one, and can't be spoofed.

Plus, remember that the 60% (or whatver percentage) is not just time, but resources like money or sacrifices, etc. as well, and no matter how illuminated you are, you can't give away 60% of your money twice. (Well, not unless you're a goverment...)

RR