Re: Re: Benefits of Illumination

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:07:32 -0800

> Gbaji forbid that they would fake their books! Gosh who would ever
> think of it.

I'm sure that those Otherworld beings recieving the donations/sacrifices would know.

> The whole problem I have with this approach is that it relies on a
> limitation on the way that the illuminate relates to a deity when I
> thought that it was precisely such limitations that they transcended.

As I've tried to explain, it doesn't. That 60% requirement is there to "handwave" all the small stuff that worship requires. It's little rituals as well as attendance at holy days. It's doing things the way your God did them. It's the little prayers you say or hymns you hum under your breath. Your work counts because you are doing it the way the God did, with all the rituals and prayers and hymns and the like. If you do it "wrong", you are not worshipping your god, you're just doing a job - and that doesn't count towards your 60%. Performing the rituals for one god doesn't help another god.

> Obviously if a devotee should be spending 60% of their time in the
> temple then people will notice that they are not there and
> illumination gives no protection from such mundane notice. I still do
> not understand how this limitation applies to devotees whose 60% for
> one diety would *look* pretty much the same as for another deity to a
> mundane observer.

Because, while the actions may look pretty much the same, they differ in details; and those details are the way that your "worship energy" gets to the specific God in question.

Sure, you can fool a casual, mundane observer, but you *can't* fool the god whose rituals you are failing to perform. Heck, you can't even fool someone that knows much about the god you're worshipping (has a "Myths of [X]" ability). That person would be able to tell that you're not performing the right rituals.

RR