Devotion and illumination

From: newsalor <newsalor_at_...>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 08:52:04 -0000

Hi all,

I think that an important thing to remember when discussing devotion is to remember that it is a rules construct made to represent something that happens in Glorantha. In my Glorantha folks don't generally know if someone is a devotee or not. Instead they might say that someone is a very holy or religious man.

Some initiates may very well qualify for spending 50% of their time to their religion and some devotees won't seem that religious outwards. I think that it is a continuum, but I agree that it's about doing and being, theism that is.

You can't be a morbid follower of death and a pacifist for life at the same time. Sure, a lunar illuminate could be initiated to both and sacrifice to both gods. However, devotee status signifies a deeper relationship. It's being like your god, doing is work and acting like him. You could fake it to fellow worshippers IMO, but without actual devotion you just don't get that response out of the otherside.

Olli Kantola