Re: HQ Rules List members

From: Adrian Smith <smudge1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:55:06 +0000

>>> Personally, I think it's a great idea; but in
>>> consideration of
>>> people's right to privacy I'm asking publicly: if
>>> you DON'T want me to
>>> share your email address amongst the other relevant
>>> lists, please just
>>> drop me a quick note (pls include your email so I
>>> don't have to look
>>> it up!) and I'll remove your email from the list
>>> before I send it 2/21.
>>>

>> While I'd have no objection myself, I'd point out that
>> the legal position here is risky. Since you put the
>> date inside-out, I suspect you're American. The
>> Internet deals in international law: and in quite a
>> lot of countries, Britain being one, passing on email
>> addresses has to be opt-in, not opt-out. I am no
>> lawyer, but I know just enough to know that this is
>> dangerous. If you've already done the research, then
>> great: if not, I'd strongly suggest you do so. But
>> either way, expecting an answer in only eight days
>> (you did mean 21-Feb-2007, I take it?) is not enough.
>> People could be away, and come back to find their
>> private details handed over. That won't make you
>> popular.

The opt in Jane talks about is not only British law but also European Union law too.

I'd like to have full control of who gets my details and who doesn't. If this list is going to be created why not just advertise here? Then those who want to be on the list can join and those who prefer not can stay away.