Re: More ILH2 questions

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:17:52 +0000 (UTC)

>From: markmohrfield_at_...
>
>Page 28 states that in order to become an Ordinate an applicant must
>give up all magic not from his deity. However, the entry for
Makabeus
>on page 82 under "Grimoires" states that "Ordinates have access to
many
>independent spells in addition to those found in the school's
>grimoires." Which is correct? If the second is correct, does it
extend
>to non-lunar spells, and if so, are they affected by the Lunar cycle?

As I read it, Makabeus is a special case--he goes around collecting spells, so in effect, this paragraph is saying "lots of magic which didn't *used* to be Makabeus, and which you wouldn't *think* is Makabeus, actually is, because he found it and he likes it". So ordinates can still only use Makabeus magic, but it just happens that Makabeus magic includes "this really cool spell we saw a dwarf use once, so we raided their mines and stole their notes and faked up a version of it".

As an analogy--an Orlanth disciple can only use Orlanth magic. Well, can he use troll magic like the Sandals of Darkness? Sure. Because Orlanth stole the sandals, so they're Orlanth magic *now*.

Just my guess...

--AMS