Re: More ILH2 questions

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:27:17 +0000 (UTC)

Let me back away from that. As I reread the actual line from ILH2, I don't think we need to go that far. The actual text is,

"Ordinates have access to many independent spells in addition to those found in the school's grimoires."

That's just saying that the sect has: (a) Grimoires with spells, and (b) Other spells that aren't in grimoires.

Creating a grimoire is Heap Big Magic, involving a major heroquest, IIRC. You have to build a node that links together all the individual spell nodes. It's darned handy--in game terms, you can increase your rating in the grimoire, and that lets you cast *every spell in the grimoire* more effectively, instead of having to buy up each spell individually. But it's hard to do. So this cult (and, I'd bet, a lot of other sorcerous and sorcery-style cults) has grimoires, but it also has miscellaneous spells which aren't in grimoires. You can buy them, you just have to build them up individually.

The theistic equivalent would be, say, a god that offers the "Dark Avenger" affinity (feats: Surprise, Hate Wrongdoer, Oh No You Dint...) and the "Whirlwind Mace" feat. You can buy up the affinity, and increase all the feats in it. But if you want to boost Whirlwind Mace, you boost it all by itself.