Re:References for Hsunchen magic?

From: Dougie Punk <dougiepunk_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:32:12 +0000

Hi Bryan - I'm playing an Uncoling would be shamanese in Lev Lafayettes PBM campaign & this is what I came up with. Some other players offered some excellent recommendations for improving on this stuff - you might want to check out the game archives at http:// mimesisrpg.com/pipermail/ignorance_mimesisrpg.com/2007-January/ 000165.html. Life has turned busy on me of late but ASAP I shall incorporate these ideas into a revision of my Uncoling keyword..

Cheers,

Dougie
Homeland: Uncolings (Reindeer people inhabitants of Tastolar, Fronela)

Population: 50,000.
These foot nomads inhabit the tundra regions just below Valind's Glacier. They subsist almost entirely on their herds, making use of their milk, meat, antlers, etc. Their land is sufficiently desolate that nobody else will live there, except the occasional foraging Uz. Despite their low technological level, the Uncolings are the most socially sophisticated of the Hsunchen cultures. Each spring they meet in a huge gathering, and perform ceremonies that require thousands of participants. Great herds of reindeer live in Farther Pent, but have no hsunchen among them.

Occupations Available: Entertainer, Healer, Herder, Hunter, Poetty Noble, Warrior, (Spirit Talker)
Native Abilities: Reindeer Husbandry, Uncoling Customs, Geography of northern Fronela, Leather Working, Herding, Live in Tundra, Speak Uncoling, Work Bone and Wood, throw & catch boomerang, heavy boomerang* Typical Personality Traits: Stoic
Typical Relationships: to Clan, to Temple

Magic: Common Magic, Uncoling Tradition

Common Magic: Survival Tricks (Talents)** : Cure Reindeer Disease, Run From Predator, Stay Warm, Hide Trail, Kill Wolf, Protect My Reindeer, Patch Wound, Keep Off Snow, Make Mushrooms Safe But Potent

Specialized Religion - Uncoling Hsunchen

All adult members of the Tradition (who have to be born Uncolings), including Spiritists, gain a Reindeer Spirit Ally. They only get one of these "spirit brothers" in a lifetime.

Reindeer Sprits - antler fencing, forage mushrooms, warm pelage, , stay still

Core Practice: Uncoling
Abilities: make fire, endure cold, forage Virtues: sociable, endure loneliness, aggressive to romantic rivals (males), accommodating to romantic rivals (females) Practice Spirits:Uncoling Ancestors -Usually two powers: Find Trail, Find Warmth, Organise Gathering, Find Child, Find (Reindeer Coumis at Gathering)
Shapechange spirits - Grow Antlers, Run on Any Ground, Camoflage Survival Spirits - Gather herd, Gather Family, Know Direction, Stay Warm, Find Dinner

Helper Practices:
Woodtalkers (communicate with Aldryami)
Coverlings (Hide Me, Hide That)
Mikyh Mysteries [Shamanic practice]
Enemy Practice: Valind Rites

Basically what Greg said on the HQ-RPG list with a few details and embellishments added. I got bored of the recent debate on weapons as part of cultural keyword, but the gist I got was that they should be there for cultures facing hostile / dangerous environments, so I've included them. All comments/suggestions/ criticisms welcome.