Re: Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 07:31:16 +0000 (GMT)

> >- Measurable abilities : Some abilities are
> measurable in real life and it
> >would help to translate them from HQ abilities to
> real life values. The
> >obvious one I see are Strong, Large, Fast, Wealth.
> In other world, how much
> >can you lift if you are "Unbelievably Strong" 5W or
> how fast can you run
> >with "Running like the wind" 17?

> In my opinion, this doesn't matter.

Well in the opinions of a lot of players and GMs, it does, so that doesn't help.

> And, I can run just as fast with Run like a Gazelle
> 17 as Running like the Wind 17.

Sure, but how fast is that? The fort is ten miles away: how long will it take you to get there? Is reaching it before dark (having just had lunch) an easy stroll, or likely to have you collapsing as you deliver your message?

If you meet a new strange beast, and the scenario tells you it's got Large 12, is that the size of a sheep, a horse, an elephant? We visualise things in feet, pounds, and mph, not in abstract ratings.

Now, we *can* pull out Anaxials, and browse through it until we find a beastie that matches. We can look up the speed a horse runs at in Abstract Rating, compare it with stats for real horses from Google in mph, and work out conversion factors. But a nice neat table would make life a great deal easier.

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk