Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: neil_wimp <neil_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 11:07:00 -0000

If I may attempt to translate, I think that Nic is bringing up the difference between oppositional and orthogonal intents. HeroQuest mechanics work well for oppositional intents, but less well for orthogonal ones.

For instance, Alice wants to protect the orphans under her care while Bob wants to kidnap them. These two intents are clearly in opposition and there are only two possible outcomes: Alice wins or Bob wins. HQ provides a mechanism for resolving this, by using a conflict which produces one winner and one loser.

If we change the situation slightly, things get more complex. Let's say that Alice is trying to persuade Bob to free the orphans, but Bob is simply trying to kill Alice. These two intents are orthogonal and there are four possible outcomes:

HeroQuest doesn't provide an easy way of handling such situations. How do you get all four possible outcomes from a single conflict resolution? Some guidance on what to do when faced with such orthogonal intents in conflicts would be nice.

It's slightly easier if there's a third party that can be introduced, such as Alice trying to persuade Bob's commander to free the orphans while Bob does his stuff. A contest between Alice and the commander to determine the orphans' fate, another between Alice and Bob to determine Alice's. But if there's no third party, it's a problem.

Neil.