Re: Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: nick_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 12:12:03 +0000

david_at_... wrote:
> >- Measurable abilities : Some abilities are measurable in real life and it
> >would help to translate them from HQ abilities to real life values. The
> >obvious one I see are Strong, Large, Fast, Wealth. In other world, how much
> >can you lift if you are "Unbelievably Strong" 5W or how fast can you run
> >with "Running like the wind" 17?
>
> In my opinion, this doesn't matter. The ratings relate to the story.
> My benchpress ability doesn't translate to an Unbelievably Strong
> rating. Rather, I'm stronger than anyone in my clan: 5W shows that.
> And, I can run just as fast with Run like a Gazelle 17 as Running
> like the Wind 17.

The one thing I remember us debating at length when it was HW and I'm not quite sure about in HQ comes in comparing abilities. Did a horse with Run Fast 17 run as fast as a man with Run Fast 17, and how did either compare with a Thunderhawk with Fly Fast 17.

There was a school that said that the man ran relative to other men, and horses would of course be faster because... well they are. I never liked that idea, because while I can mentally compare men and horses I don't know off the top of my head how either compares to a Trachadon.