Re: Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:21:17 +0000 (GMT)

> I suspect that we are seeing a divide between people
> on how they
> approach HeroQuest. Without getting too Forge-like
> you could use their
> diagnostic tool to charecterize this divide as 'sim'
> vs 'narr'.

I suspect it's to do with visualisation. I can't see in my mind how big a wall is if it's described as "tall 17". I can if it's "20 feet", or "taller than the elephant". And this is roleplaying/storytelling, not chess, so the visualisation is important. Never mind just seeing it, I want to hear it, smell it, feel the grit of the sandstone against my boots. "Tall 17" does not do this.