Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 12:56:16 -0000

Well, IIRC 10 miles is about 2.5 - 3 hours walk, so it will depend on when you start and when night falls...

...But if you want to make it a contest then all you need to know is "Complete Success" means you can take High Tea with the garrison commander, "Complete Failure" means you are still only halfway there when night falls, and in between is everythign from making it comfortably, collapsing across the threshold, and banging against the locked doors, pleading to be let in...

> If you meet a new strange beast, and the scenario
> tells you it's got Large 12, is that the size of a
> sheep, a horse, an elephant? We visualise things in
> feet, pounds, and mph, not in abstract ratings.

Why would you describe it as "Large 12"? You wouldn't describe it in RQ by reference to it's HP, or the Armour rating of it's skin.

> Now, we *can* pull out Anaxials, and browse through it
> until we find a beastie that matches. We can look up
> the speed a horse runs at in Abstract Rating, compare
> it with stats for real horses from Google in mph, and
> work out conversion factors. But a nice neat table
> would make life a great deal easier.

I don't think it would, although it might appear to at first. But what when you want to increase your "Large" or your "Run Like the Wind" and cross referencing it back to the table gives silly results. What would be better is more advice and examples to explain why "Run like the Wind 17" is a measure of your speed in reference to the resistance assigned* not against some phyiscal benchmark.

*Maybe as well, more advice on setting resistances rather than just a page of sample resistances....