Re: Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:19:45 +0000 (GMT)

> --- In HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com, Jane
> Williams
> <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> >
> > > And, I can run just as fast with Run like a
> Gazelle
> > > 17 as Running like the Wind 17.
> >
> > Sure, but how fast is that? The fort is ten miles
> > away: how long will it take you to get there? Is
> > reaching it before dark (having just had lunch) an
> > easy stroll, or likely to have you collapsing as
> you
> > deliver your message?
> >

> Well, IIRC 10 miles is about 2.5 - 3 hours walk, so
> it will depend
> on when you start and when night falls...
>
> ...But if you want to make it a contest then all you
> need to know is
> "Complete Success" means you can take High Tea with
> the garrison
> commander, "Complete Failure" means you are still
> only halfway there
> when night falls, and in between is everythign from
> making it
> comfortably, collapsing across the threshold, and
> banging against
> the locked doors, pleading to be let in...

Sure. Completely agree. Now, what's the resistance for that contest? 17, same as your ability? 14, because it's easy? 5W, because a 17 in running is lousy, so we don't want your chance of success to be too high? How are you going to pick that number?

> > If you meet a new strange beast, and the scenario
> > tells you it's got Large 12, is that the size of a
> > sheep, a horse, an elephant? We visualise things
> in
> > feet, pounds, and mph, not in abstract ratings.
>
> Why would you describe it as "Large 12"?

That's exactly what Anaxial's does!

> But
> what when you want to increase your "Large" or your
> "Run Like the
> Wind" and cross referencing it back to the table
> gives silly results.

Then you got the table wrong. And I know all too much about increasing my "large " :(

> *Maybe as well, more advice on setting resistances
> rather than just
> a page of sample resistances....

That would be good. But the sample resistances are a good start.