Re: Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:25:33 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Jane,

How you pick the number can be done in a couple of ways:

In the first option pick a number based on the ability score and bump it up or down according to taste. I used to do this a lot, but I don't much these days. It reduces the focus on the characters.

In the second option there aren't any absolutes, think of how impressive it'd be if you were told this had happened. Is it a heroic feat? 10W4. Something that an ordinary person could do if pushed to the limit? 10W2 Completely mundane? Sod it, don't roll. Anything else grab a number and interpolate all you want.

This is a damned site easier than gribbling in the rules for a table, multiplying (or adding, depending on arithmetical perversion) by factors for the terrain type, whether it's dark or not and what the weather's like.

So how big's the giant? Orlanth knows, he was a big bastard, twice the size of that tree!

How wide's the chasm? It was huge, no ordinary man could have cleared it but Hrolf did!

When I look out of the window I see a copse of trees. How tall are they? Not a clue, pretty big. What's their large then? It's 10W2 'cause I'd be fairly impressed to see someone get to the top - they sway like buggery in the wind. If I saw a child up one I'd be pooing myself for their safety.

Hang on I can hear people say, you're including the wind in that? Yep, they wouldn't be as impressive in a dead air. You can call it 5W2 with +5 augment for 10W2 blustery if you want. It's all a value judgement you have to make in the context of the game. No amount of tables is going to give you the same experience.

(Next bit is more to Ian)

Maybe one way of bridging the gap would be to have a set of FUDGE like descriptions and their equivlalent ability scores? That way the task based communities could see that a "legendary" difficulty was 10W6 or whatever and a mediocre one was 14. I leave the exact ratings to them that worry about these things.

Cheers,

Ash

http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/7tRolB/TM >