Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.h_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:10:23 -0000

Just to throw my tuppence in...

I have never had a problem with the lack of scale in a Gloranthan setting because hardly anyone in Glorantha thinks that way anyway. So a description of a rock might be "Its as big as that one in Oddi's field that he moved last Dark Season and he needed both of his sons and an Ox to move it" which just feels more atmospheric than "oh around 500kg".

When I tried writing up something for a SF PBEM idea it did not work so well - modern or futuristic humans are educated from an early age in weights and measures and descriptions really should reflect that. Not that it makes much difference to the mechanics of the game but players can get hung up on why one 500kg object is a different resistance level to another.

--
Nic