RE: Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: DreadDomain <dreaddomain_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:09:17 -0500

-----Message d'origine-----
De : HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com
[mailto:HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com] De la part de Ian Cooper

> Why are large and strong different from Sword Fighting
> and Riding?

Personally I think it is the quantitative versus the qualitative value of the abilities. In real life it is very easy to put numbers on weight and distance and wealth and such. If you ask me how much I weight, I will answer 190 pounds. If you ask me how good I am at riding, I will answer pretty crappy. You will instantly know how much you weight compare to me but might find it hard to judge how crappier I am at riding than you are.

The same goes in gaming for a lot of people. Now it doesn't you couldn't do what you did with a more qualitative ability but in my opinion most gamers won't need or expect that level of detail. They might find it cool though.

> We don't want to remove your tools for play, but we don't want to lose
> ours either.

I fail to see how giving optional real life guidelines for abilities like Strength, Size, Speed, Range or Wealth would take anything away from you. Like I said earlier, stuff life the number of targets or the size of the community or the range are already translated in modifiers in HQ.